Most Anticipated Movies For the Rest of 2026

It's crazy to think, but we're already two thirds of the way through the year. This has been a sneakily great movie year so far whether it be the blockbusters like The Odyssey and Spider-Man: Brand New Day, or indies like The Invite, Omaha, or my personal fav Nirvanna the Band the Show the Movie. As is typically the case, the fall movie lineup is filled with potential award players, holiday blockbusters, and a smattering of spooky season goodness. There's honestly a ton I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year, so much so that I almost considered making this list even longer than the 30 I did last year. Instead though I'm just going to list a wild amount of honourable mentions and keep this to a top 30.

In no particular order, here are some honourable mentions that I'm keeping an eye on: Focker In-Law, Hope, I Play Rocky, Jumanji: Open World, Onslaught, Paper Tiger, The Stunt Driver, Violent Night 2, and Wicker. As always there are also some films I'm excited for that could sneak into the lineup but I have a feeling will be premiering in 2027, those being A Long Winter, Artificial, Coward, Ink, Look Back, A Place in Hell, and Terrifier 4, all films that would be on this list if I knew for sure they'd be coming out. All release dates listed are also subject to change of course. Without further adieu now, let's get to the top 30.

30. Club Kid - November 6th

Club Kid is the directorial debut of Jordan Firstman, and was one of the biggest breakout hits from Cannes this year. The cast is largely unknowns aside from Cara Delevigne and Diego Calva, but all of the buzz I've seen is fantastic and it sounds like an all around great time at the movies. Not knowing much about the team behind it limits how high I can place it, but this is one I'm definitely looking forward to.


29. Klara and the Sun - October 23rd

Klara and the Sun is the latest directorial effort from Taika Waititi. While he earned large acclaim for Jojo Rabbit, his last two films, Thor: Love and Thunder and Next Goal Wins, were seen as a pair of disappointments. His latest brings to life Kazuo Ishiguro's 2021 novel of the same name, following an android played by Jenna Ortega in a dystopian future where she looks to bond with a sick young girl. There is a bit of fear in me that Waititi has lost his touch, but we aren't far removed from his run of incredible work so I hope this will be a good comeback for him.


 

28. Sense and Sensibility - September 25th UK, October 16th US

Period drama films like this aren't always my thing, but this new adaptation of Jane Austen's novel has enough going for it to have my attention. The trailers thus far have been solid, but it's the cast of Daisy Edgar-Jones, George Mackay, and Catriona Balfe that has me interested. Here's hoping this one winds up being a standout this October.


27. Being Heumann - Theatres November 6th, Apple TV November 13th

There have been few bigger award season surprises than the unlikely run CODA went on to win best picture at the 2022 Oscars. Director Sian Heder is back, this time with a biopic about disability rights activist Judith Heumann. While I loved CODA it wasn't the boldest film out there, and this strikes me as something in a similar vein, offering pretty by the books filmmaking but telling a touching story. This one is also the opening night film for TIFF this year, so I have little to no doubt that this will at least be a solid crowd pleaser.


26. How to Rob a Bank - November 13th

Honestly, this just looks really fun. I'm a sucker for a good heist movie and this has a fun twist to it that I think will make for a great time. The cast is stacked with Nicholas Hoult, Zoe Kravitz, and Anna Sawai to name a few, and David Leitch is behind the camera. Looking out for this one as a sleeper November hit.


25. The Adventures of Cliff Booth - IMAX November 25th, Netflix December 23rd

If this were a few years ago The Adventures of Cliff Booth would probably be way higher on this list. It's a quasi-sequel to Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, a film I loved, written by Quentin Tarantino who despite his flaws as a person is still one of the most iconic writer/directors out there, and it's directed by one of my all time favourite filmmakers David Fincher. We also get Brad Pitt revisiting his Oscar winning role, but something just feels off. No one was clamoring for a Cliff Booth follow up, and it ultimately feels like a bizarre career choice for Fincher, his first sequel since debuting with the critically panned Alien 3. I am still looking forward to this, but the air around it and its Netflix release have me a lot more hesitant than I wish I was.


24. All of a Sudden - November 25th 

All of a Sudden is the latest from Japanese director Ryusuke Hamaguchi, whose previous two films include 2023's Evil Does Not Exist and the Best International Feature winner Drive My Car. I was already looking forward to seeing what Hamaguchi was doing next, but the buzz from Cannes has shot this up my watchlist. This one also sees Hamaguchi working in French as well as Japanese which should make for a very interesting watch.

Uploading: 923071 of 923071 bytes uploaded.

23. Minotaur - November 20th

Minotaur is another big Cannes hit that has me very intrigued. It's set to the backdrop of the Russia-Ukraine war with a fascinating premise, and the buzz it received out of Cannes was among the most hype I saw for any film. I don't know anything about the cast or crew but it sounds like it could sneakily be one of the year's best.


22. Everest: The Other Side - October 30th

I'm not the biggest documentary guy, but Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin fully won me over with Free Solo back in 2018 and I'm always exctied for what they do next. Their narrative debut Nyad was pretty underwhelming, but they are back to documentary filmmaking and this time are tackling a couple who dream of climbing and skiing Everest. This sounds wild, and it's one of the titles at TIFF I'm most looking forward to this year.


21. Elsinore - November 20th

Speaking of films I'm excited to see at TIFF, Elsinore is a ticket I'm thrilled I was able to get. The film is a biopic of Scottish actor Ian Charleson, brought to life by Andrew Scott in a performance that has had him mentioned as a potential Oscar nominee for this year. I love Scott as an actor, so seeing him in this kind of leading role alongside a supporting performance from Olivia Colman is enough to make this a must watch in my eyes.


20. Josephine - November 20th

It feels like every year there's one big Sundance film that the masses don't get to see until the fall, and this year that seems to be Josephine. Starring Channing Tatum and Gemma Chan, this was probably the film I saw the most praise for back in January. I've heard the subject matter is pretty tough, but if it gives us a pair of great performances from Tatum and Chan I think that's well worth it.


19. The Debut - December 11th

Here we have the latest directorial effort from Jesse Eisenberg. His last film A Real Pain was a huge critical success, even leading to a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Kieran Culkin. The Debut features an even more star studded cast, led by what looks like a powerhouse performance from Julianne Moore and another supporting actor contender in Paul Giamatti. I'm always a sucker for films centered in the arts, so this tale of a woman trying her hand a theatre seems right up my alley. Very excited for this one.


18. Victorian Psycho - November 13th

This is where the list gets super subjective. The vast majority of people probably haven't heard of this and will likely never see it, I am not one of those people. This is based on a recent novel that I haven't read, but it sounds like a wild modern take on gothic horror. The cast is led by Maika Monroe and Thomasin McKenzie, but the real seller for me is director Zachary Wigon. Wigon's debut Sanctuary was one of my favourite films the year it was released, so I've been anxiously awaiting his next film. The reviews here aren't anything mindblowing, but I'm still stoked for this.


17. The Love Hypothesis - Prime Video September 23rd

Here's another one I'm sure won't be as high for many others, but one I'm very excited for anyways. My partner is a big Ali Hazelwood fan so I finally read this a month or two ago and loved it. A streaming premiere has me a bit hesitant, but the filmmaker behind this one also made Set It Up so I have full faith in her ability to bring to life a solid rom-com. What really sells me (aside from a fun story) is Lili Reinhart in the leading role, with Tom Bateman as her broody love interest. This will also be dropping right after TIFF so it should be a great palatte cleanse.


16. La Bola Negra - Theatres November 6th, Netflix December 4th

Now we've got another big Cannes player that could make noise at this year's Oscars. After the festival this didn't just have strong buzz, it was shooting near the top of people's Best Picture leaderboards. The cast is largely unknowns aside from Penelope Cruz and apparently Glenn Close, but much like Minotaur and Club Kid, this is coming out with a level of hype that makes up for any lack of brand recognition. I've heard nothing but great things and by the sounds of it this will be a huge awards player.


15. Verity - October 2nd

Adaptations of Colleen Hoover books have ranged from mediocre to really bad, but I'm hoping this one will be different. I loved Verity when I read it, and this adaptation has a far stronger cast and crew behind it than Hoover's previous adaptations. The cast is headlined by a stellar trio of Anne Hathaway, Josh Hartnett, and Dakota Johnson, and Michael Showalter (The Big Sick, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, The Idea of You) is directing the film. This easily could wind up being a mess, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped for it.


14. Digger - October 2nd

This could be a masterpiece, or it could be a giant miss. Alejandro González Iñárritu has graced us with masterful work like Birdman and The Revenant, but his most recent film Bardo was an overindulgent mess that disappeared from the spotlight as quickly as it entered. Despite his pedigree as a filmmaker though, this is a showcase for Tom Cruise. His performance here looks crazy and may be what he needs to finally win an acting Oscar. At the very least this will be ambitious, I just fear we could have another Bardo on our hands.


13. Avengers: Doomsday - December 18th

I toyed around with where to put this quite a bit. I've been a Marvel fan for as long as I can remember, and last time we got an Avengers movie it was one of the coolest theatrical experiences I've had. The way the MCU has been handled lately scares me though. The past few movies (Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Thunderbolts, and Fantastic Four) were all ones I enjoyed, but everything we've seen from Doomsday looks like it'll fall into the trap of nostalgia bait rather than delivering a well crafted story. I love the old X-Men movies, but those characters feel forced in here, and while I'm ready to be proven wrong I think the idea of bringing in Robert Downey Jr. as Dr. Doom was wildly misguided. Throw in the fact that this film will have countless characters that have never interacted teaming up compared to the many years of building that we got for Infinity War and Endgame, and I just don't have enough faith to put this in the top 10.


12. Hexed - November 25th

Disney Animation Studios doesn't offer the same kind of surefire hits that they used to, with Zootopia 2 ending a three film run of mediocrity (Moana 2 and Wish) and lacking box office returns (Strange World). One weak run can only limit my faith so much, and from the premise and trailers alone this might be the most excited I've been for a Disney flick in almost a decade. The voice cast is pretty stacked with Hailee Steinfeld, Rashida Jones, Jodie Foster, and Walton Goggins, but it's the film's story and setting in a world of witches that has me very excited. The visuals look fantastic too, so I'm hoping this is a return to the kind of great original storytelling Disney used to be known for.


11. Primetime - September 25th

Here's another one that just looks fantastic. I never watched To Catch a Predator, but I know damn well how much of a cultural impact it had. This is the narrative debut of director Lance Oppenheim, and from the trailers it seems to be brimming with style and gripping tension. The real draw here though is without a doubt Robert Pattinson in what looks to be his best role in an already strong year for him. Throw in a supporting cast of Merritt Weaver, Skylar Gisondo, Tony Revolori, and a rare acting appearance from Phoebe Bridgers, and this is an easy must watch.


10. Godzilla Minus Zero - November 6th

Godzilla Minus One was one of the biggest surprises of the year when it came out in 2023. I've seen quite a few Godzilla movies over the years and this was the first one that really made me care about the human characters, and it's amazing kaiju CGI done on a small budget wound up winning the Oscar for best visual effects. I don't know what to expect narratively from this follow up, but it seems to have a lot of the same team behind it and I'm always a sucker for a giant monster movie.


9. Behemoth! - December 4th

If you've seen Andor you're more than familiar with the work of Tony Gilroy. His filmography has a lot more writing credits than directing, but his first directorial effort since 2012's The Bourne Legacy is one of the most anticipated films still to come in 2026. This one follows Pedro Pascal as a gifted cellist finally coming home after 20 years on the road, with Olivia Wilde, Eva Victor, and Will Arnett rounding out the cast. Gilroy more that proved himself by delivering perhaps the best Star Wars content in the Disney era, and now it looks like he may have a critical darling on his hands.


8. The Social Reckoning - October 9th

It's been a decade and a half since The Social Network came out, and now we're getting a follow up that initially I didn't think we needed. The idea of a sequel to the Facebook movie seemed insane, but based on the premise this seems like a perfect follow up to David Fincher & Aaron Sorkin's modern classic. This time it's Sorkin taking up the director's chair, with Jeremy Allen White as a journalist, Jeremy Strong filling the role of Mark Zuckerberg (quite brilliantly by the looks of it), and Mikey Madison in her first film role since winning Best Actress. Maybe this winds up being something that fails to live up to its predecessor, but something in my gut is telling me it could be special.


7. Clayface - October 23rd

Generally I'm not one to get overly excited about DC films unless they're Batman movies. I guess it helps here that we're talking about one of his iconic villains, but this still isn't something that would typically be high on my radar. I was already somewhat intrigued by the idea of bringing an antagonist as fascinating as Clayface to the big screen for the first time, then I heard this was to be a comic book body horror movie and I was sold. Where this really shoots up the hype list is the involvement of Mike Flanagan. While he isn't directing the film due to scheduling conflicts, the idea of a Clayface movie written by Flanagan is beyond exciting. While him not directing the film is unfortunate, the filmmaker helming this one is James Watkins, whose previous work includes Eden Lake and Speak No Evil. This really just looks fantastic, look out for this to maybe be my favourite comic book movie of the year.


6. Resident Evil - September 18th

Much like Clayface, on the surface this isn't something I'd typically be excited for. I do kind of love a bunch of the Mila Jovovich movies, but I've never actually played a Resident Evil game. That being said, I know whenever I do get around to playing the games I'll love them, and the real reason I'm excited for this is director Zach Cregger. Cregger put himself on the map with Barbarian, only to deliver the horror movie of the summer last year with Weapons. Any director that can bring a horror movie performance to an Oscar win is one to keep an eye on, and Cregger's take on Resident Evil looks insane. My only complaint about this one is that it comes out right in the thick of TIFF so I'll have to wait a bit to see it.


5. Werwulf - December 25th

And now we have the third and final film in this string of horror movies I'm stoked for. Robert Eggers films aren't for everyone, but they're certainly for me. Whether it be the more fantasy focused The Lighthouse and The Northman, or his horror flicks The Witch and Nosferatu, Eggers is a filmmaker whose eerie period vibes always scratch an itch with me. Here we get his take on a gothic werewolf movie with an incredible ensemble. I have no reason to doubt that this will be among my favourites this year.


4. The Hunger Games: Sunrise on the Reaping - November 20th

I was 13 when the first Hunger Games movie came out so I was the perfect age to get caught up in that storm, yet I still find myself surprised by how excited I am for this latest entry. I didn't care that much about Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes when it came out, but even just from the announcement of this book I've been sold. This tells the story of the games Haymitch competed in, and the book more than delivered on everything I wanted from his tale. On top of a cast full of perfect choices for the younger versions of characters we know, the visuals on display feel like they were ripped right out of my head while I was reading it. This simply looks fantastic.


3. Fjord - October 9th

Whether it be scheduling or struggles to get tickets, there's a lot at TIFF this year that I won't be able to see during the festival. None are haunting me more than Fjord. I've only seen one of Cristian Mungiu's films, that being the incredible 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, but this was the bigger winner at Cannes this year when it took home the Palme d'Or. I'm really excited for this one for the cast though. Sebastian Stan has been on a tear lately, and here he once again gets to act alongside maybe my favourite actor working today; Renate Reinsve. The premise also sounds absolutely gripping, so if I'm able to find any way to see this during TIFF I will absolutely be doing so.


2. Wild Horse Nine - November 6th

Now we've got a movie I DID manage to get a TIFF ticket for, and the film at the festival I'm most excited for. I just love Martin McDonagh, even his weakest film Seven Psycopaths is a great time and he has graced us with absolute classics like In Bruges, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, and The Banshees of Inisherin. This one reunites him with Sam Rockwell, while also bringing John Malkovich, Steve Buscemi, and Parker Posey into the fold. Usually when I see a trailer too often I wind up getting a bit turned off of the movie, but every time the Wild Horse Nine trailer comes on I get even more excited. Beyond stoked for this one.


1. Dune: Part Three - December 18th

Was there ever any doubt? If there's a Denis Villeneuve movie coming out you can pretty much guarantee it'll be my most anticipated of the year. That goes tenfold if said movie is another Dune flick. Dune: Part Two was one of the greatest theatrical experiences I've ever had, and the fact that Villeneuve gets to continue the story is beyond exciting. Small changes in his first two films have me very curious as to how he'll adapt Frank Herbert's follow up, but I have no doubt that Denis will be able to pull it off. This might be the best we've seen Timothee Chalamet, and alongside the rest of the returning cast we should get a lot more of Florence Pugh and Anya Taylor-Joy. I got to see a bit of the film's opening before The Odyssey and it only cemented my faith in this one.


Comments