Coyote vs. Acme - Movie Review

Whether it be film, literature, music, or any kind of art, every artist wants their work to be seen and have the chance to connect with people. The team behing Coyote vs. Acme were very nearly robbed of that opportunity due to the higher ups at Warner Bros. Development for the film began all the way back in 2018, with filming wrapping up by mid-2022. In November of 2023 it was announced that the film would be shelved in favour of a tax write off, that the film would essentially be deleted rather than the studio putting it in theatres despite it being already completed. WB was hit with massive backlash, leading them to reverse the decision and allow the filmmakers to shop the film to other studios. Ketchup Entertainment wound up buying the film for more than what the write off would have been but less than other studios were reportedly offering, and over three years after it's original release date, Coyote vs. Acme is finally in theatres this weekend.

When discussing this movie I think it's cultural impact is more important than the film itself. This was a piece of art that nearly never saw the light of day because of the poor decisions of a bunch of suits. The film business is messy and confusing, and admittedly the film would have likely struggled to break even due to its high budget, but the idea of boiling down the hard work of countless cast and crew into a dollar amount that you can just write off is absurd. I urge people to go see this one not just because it's a good movie (which it is), but also to show corporations like WB that audiences will support the hard work of these filmmakers.

Coyote vs. Acme follows Wile E. Coyote continuing his age old quest to catch the roadrunner. When another plan fails due to faulty equipment from the Acme corporation, Wile E. seeks out a lawyer specializing in cartoon injury settlements in order to sue the giant conglomerate. What ensues is a classic David vs Goliath story that somewhat hilariously mirrors the film's messy road to distribution.

Cinematically this is very evocative of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? in the way it places classic cartoon characters into reality. I had a strong feeling the film would be fun, but I was pleasantly surprised by how seamlessly the animated characters and items are composited into the real world. The budget is definitely higher than it should be for a film like this, but you can tell a crazy amount of care was put into seaming these two worlds together, and the way the human actors play off the cartoons only heightens how well done this is from a digital effects standpoint.

Wile E. Coyote is a character that doesn't actually talk (unless you count holding up the occaisonal sign), but the cast surrounding him is great at playing off of his silence. Will Forte is pretty much the perfect leading man here. His low profile and unmotivated lawyer is a great contrast to the wildly motivated Wile E., not to mention the high stakes case he is thrust into. John Cena plays his courtroom opposition, and Cena's gradiose works harmoniously in contrast to Forte's insecurity. They are a comedic pairing that just works wonders, and Lana Condor is an excellent counterpoint to both as Forte's passionate intern.

I've always enjoyed Looney Tunes, so I wasn't surprised in the slighest by how much fun the film is, but I was shocked by how truly touching it can be. It positions Wile E. as more of a victim, while also exploring the symbiotic relationship between him and the roadrunner in a weirdly beautiful way. I'd be lying if I say I didn't get choked up at one point, something I wasn't prepared for. Don't get it twisted though, this is a hilarious movie. There are a handful of lulls in the middle act, but the humour here is great especially with how it uses the roadrunner's trademark "beep beep" sounds.

All in all, I think everyone should go check this out. It isn't the best movie of the summer or anything, but it's a great time for all and one that we nearly didn't get to see. Strong 3.5/5



Comments